Sunday, March 4, 2012

Good Shepherds

Last week, I asked the ward clerk for a list of all the Primary birthdays and came across a staggering number of children that I don't know.  I can't even begin to tell you how awful I feel.  It's an overwhelming number and far too much for just the presidency to handle.  I was so discouraged. Then, in trying to find a solution, I read this talk about Lost Sheep that I would highly recommend to everyone.  While reading the aforementioned talk, I felt less and less discouraged.  I started to wonder how glad I would feel to see their faces at Primary.  I thought about the different talents and personalities that they would bring to our little Primary family. 
And it hit me. 
After all these years, hearing the same stories about the Savior and how overjoyed He feels when one of HIS lost sheep is brought back to the fold, I finally understand.  If my joy would be that great, I can't even imagine how joyous our Savior will feel.  So, from this point on, my mission is to bring them home. And I will keep searching until they are found and safe back in the fold. 
"It is not enough to simply hope and pray and plan and worry.  These are necessary, but if a sheep is lost it will not find its way back to the fold unless someone actually goes out to help it.  The successful shephered finds out, goes out, stays out and brings back the lost sheep."
(James R. Moss, New Era, June 1977)
Also, I'm having an inservice meeting and hoping that the lure of tasty refreshments will bring my teachers out so that we can all search together.  If two heads are better than one, two shepherds are certainly better than one. 
President Boyd K. Packer said not once, but twice in October 2011's General Conference: "With all that is going on in the world, with the lowering of moral standards, you young people are being raised in enemy territory."
I will NOT let them have my Primary kids. I WILL fight for them every step of the way.  I WILL look out for them and be a sucessful shepherd.  I WILL love them and care for them and worry for them and pray for them everyday.  I WILL "find out, go out and stay out" until I bring them all home. 
And heaven help anyone who gets in my way.

1 comment: