Monday, January 7, 2013

I Am A Child of God.

This was meant to be a post before sharing time yesterday, but it just simply didn't happen.
I am so excited for the theme "I Am A Child of God" this year.  I am so excited to teach my kids about the love of their Heavenly Father and what it means.
I really want to focus on self esteem this year.  I feel that once a child learns his/her worth, it's easier to see the worth in others and be kinder to them.
So, for this reason, yesterday, I wanted sharing time to be special.
First and foremost, I made the most ADORABLE mirror.
I bought an inexpensive framed mirror and some, you guessed it, "I Am A Child of God" vinyl from here.
As you can probably figure out, the vinyl is on the top and bottom of the mirror.  I placed this mirror by the door on an easel so that every time one of my kids leaves the room, they remember who they are.
So, the topic this week was "God is my Heavenly Father and He knows me."
I wanted to make this a Sunday that they'll always remember.
I decided to read "You Are Special" by Max Lucado.  I wasn't sure I was going to read it until I read one of the last pages.

Punchinello laughed.  "Me, special?  Why? I can't jump.  My paint is peeling.  Why do I matter to you?"Eli looked at Punchinello, put his hands on those small wooden shoulders, and spoke very slowly.
  "Because you're mine.  That's why you matter to me."

Not gonna lie.  I bawled my eyes out.
So, Sunday afternoon, we had prayer, songs, scriptures, talks and it was time.
I had all the kids sit on the floor in a semi circle around me and I read the story.
I have NEVER seen them so well behaved.
We discussed how they are like Punchinello and that Eli is like Heavenly Father.
I can't express to you the incredible spirit I felt in that room.
my awesome bff Stacy snapped this when i wasn't paying attention...
and I'm grateful.

You are special.  You are a child of God.  That alone makes you wonderful.
Good luck this year.



No comments:

Post a Comment